Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Tech facts about TECHknitting

Anonymous asked: "great illustrations, how do you do them?"

Wisconsin highway 51A: For nearly 10 years I've been trying to find the correct format for getting the "knitting tricks" viruses out of my mind (and into yours!) I twice started books (and got several chapters into each) but the book format lacked a feedback loop, and there was no way to keep updating. I don't have much to show from those attempts except 1) several bulging files; 2) a bunch of sample garments (many already worn out) and 3) a knowledge of ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR. Over the years, Illustrator has taken over my mind to the extent that when I see a highway sign, for example, I imagine how I could reproduce it.

Since I started this blog, I hardly knit any more--I illustrate knitting instead. Each line drawing can take between 2 and 10 hours (which accounts for the time lag between posts...)

--Techknitter